NHS Complaints Advocacy

NHS Complaints Advocacy

Although most people using the health service are happy with their care and treatment, things can sometimes go wrong. If you’re not satisfied with the service you’ve experienced from a hospital, doctor, dentist, local surgery or any other NHS provider, you are entitled to complain about it. 

Who Is The Service For?

By law, anyone who wishes to complain about an NHS service is entitled to receive advocacy support to help them make their complaint.

Healthwatch Warrington’s NHS Complaints Advocacy Service is free, confidential and independent, and available to all residents of Warrington. We help people understand what their options are and support them through the NHS complaints process to ensure they get the best possible resolution. We provide information and support to help people understand their rights and make informed choices when making a complaint.

What Support Does An Advocate Provide?

An advocate provides free, confidential and independent support, and will provide you with information to help you make informed choices to help you navigate through the NHS complaints process.

The Advocate’s role is to:

  • Explore the options available to you at each stage of the complaints procedure.
  • Answer your questions to help you make informed decisions
  • Help you to write effective letters to the right people.
  • Prepare you for any meetings (including ensuring that any necessary evidence and other material are available) and attend with you if required.
  • Contact and speak to third parties, on your request
  • Monitor the progress of your complaint, ensuring it progresses in a timely manner
  • Discuss response letters received t make sure you are satisfied with the outcome
  • Assist you with submissions to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

An Advocate cannot:

  • Give you legal or medical advice
  • Provide counselling
  • Help you complain about a private healthcare provider
  • Get an NHS employee disciplined
  • Provide a secretarial service

Not everyone making a complaint about the NHS will need an advocate. Sometimes, you may just need some information. If you decide you want to make a complaint yourself, you may find our Self-Help Information Pack useful.

Download our useful forms here:

How Do I Get Support From An Advocate?

If you decide that you would like the support of an advocate, please complete and return our consent form either by email: advocacy@weareecs.co.uk or post to

Healthwatch Warrington Advocacy Service, The Gateway, 89 Sankey St, Warrington WA1 1SR

You can also make a referral for someone else, but please get their permission first.

If you need further information or support, call 07732 683447 (Lines are open between 9 am and 5 pm Monday to Friday. An answerphone operates outside of these times).

Receiving compliments is lovely but we also want and need to hear where we could have done better so we can put anything right that’s gone wrong.

Please use the link below so that you can tell us what you think.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

SNAP survey link

To leave feedback on a service in Warrington or to review the feedback left by others about Health and Social Care services in Warrington, visit the Healthwatch Warrington feedback centre here: https://healthwatchwarrington.co.uk/services/